Thursday, April 12, 2012

Sweet Owl Handprint Art

I'm not an artist by any stretch of the word. You should see my creations in Draw Something. It's pathetic. I just don't really have an eye for balance or composition or anything, really.

So I've been working on a gallery wall above my couch for a few days. I tried out a few different arrangements and finally enlisted the help of some of my Facebook friends for advice. After rearranging the pictures yet again I realized I had room for one more 8x10 photo. 

Ok, let's rewind to my MOPS meeting earlier this week. A friend of mine demo'd some kid's hand print art. So I decided that's kinda what I wanted to do to fill the open spot on my gallery wall. 

(I just realized how long my intros to my crafts are. Sorry.)

Here's what I came up with! "Hoo" doesn't love a cute little owl? 


Very easy, under an hour project as long as your kids are cooperative.

Quick tute:

Tea stain some cardstock cut to whatever size you need. Just wet a tea bag and rub it all over the paper then let it dry. Or blow dry it if you're impatient.


Paint your kiddo's hand with acrylic paints. 


Print the hand. (It helps to repeat "Don't move, don't move, don't move!" very loudly.)


Paint in your details.


Frame and hang.


Oh, and don't forget to date the back! 

I was seriously so proud of myself that my branch and leaves actually looked like what they were supposed to be. And my owls weren't cross-eyed or anything!

Thanks for stopping by!




Pin It Now!

12 comments:

  1. I love this post! I need to do more art with my kiddo!
    I saw your post, my email address is highheelsbootsandbinkies@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I saw it over at Shine on Fridays and had to stop by and take a peek. You have such a fun blog. I read your "17 year old me" post. Loved it! Following you no on GFC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are too TOO cute!! Love them! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Featuring this tomorrow on One Artsy Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha so cute. I love owls!! Your blog is super creative. My sister forwarded your link ;) Stop by for a little nonsense if you get a chance @ www.kreativly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might do this on canvas with my husband, adding "baby owls" when we decide to hatch some kiddos. :-) Have you seen the footprint butterflies? Also adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super Cute! I will be doing this with my daughter. She is praticing her multiplication and will be going to 3rd grade.Fun project to do after she is done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sweet... my blogging buddy and I have a little owl obsesssion. Thank you so much for sharing. Just pinned this onto our Fall Pinterest Board! http://pinterest.com/educatorsspinon/fall-projects-to-make-and-do/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Came to your blog via Pinterest. Just made this for my mom's birthday. She is going to LOVE this adorable and one-of-a-kind gift from her grandsons!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Meant to add that I used a canvas so it can also be displayed in a stand as well as on the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This project is so cute! I love owls. I just featured it on my blog in my Weekly Inspiration post. I'd love for you to stop by and take a look if you have a minute:

    http://www.sewcreativeblog.com/weekly-inspiration-handprint-art-projects-for-kids/

    Best Wishes,

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saw your post on Crafts for Kids. Love it enough I am gonna try this with my Grand kids.

    ReplyDelete