So, today I'm going to tell you a little story. It's about how my life works.
I was six months pregnant when we bought a fixer-upper house in the town my husband was currently working in. We did lots of remodeling. Lots. Stuff a pregnant woman definitely should not be doing. Three months and $7000 later, the hubs gets a call from our hometown saying that there is a job opening that he is basically a shoe-in for. Long story short, our house is now on the market. When the house does sell it will mark our seventh(!)move in six years.
Our boys' room is basically the only room that is completed, and I use the term "completed" loosely. I thought I would give a little tour because we made and thrifted a lot of the stuff that is in there and I think it turned out pretty great.
And these pictures are evidence that I desperately need a DSLR camera. Donations can be made straight to my PayPal account. :P
The paint color is "As is". At least that's what my husband thought it was called. It's actually a mistake mix I bought at Wal-Mart for $11. The top of the can said "As is" and my husband thought that it was the color name. I laughed for days.
Here is Maverick's side of the room. The bed was thrifted for $25 about 4 years ago. I think it was blue when I bought it, but I spray painted it. As you can see from the posters and bedding, Disney/Pixar OWNS me.
The book sling was one of my first sewing projects. I love it because it doesn't take up a lot of room but holds quite a few book. Here's the link to the tutorial.
The easel was Maverick's "big" Christmas gift this year. Built by my husband and painted by me. It has a dry erase board on the other side.
The cubby system was something I dreamed up with a little help from Ana White. It's not exactly something she made but was inspired by it. Maverick needed something he could access easily and we also needed to use his old dresser for the baby. The boxes are banker's boxes painted with the leftover paint from the easel and labeled with simple labels I made in Picnik and Mod Podged on there. It's awesome because he can put away his own laundry and get dressed without having to dig around in a dresser drawer. The top of the cubby system is also a dry erase board.
Overflowing toybox. Yard sale find for $8.
Ann excessive amount of Hot Wheels. There's more in the box labeled "Cars".
Now on to Hudson's side of the room.
Here's his crib. It was Maverick's before and mine before that. Built by my grandpa. The baskets under the bed were dollar store finds and hold extra blankets and toys.
My mother and I made all the bedding. He even has turquoise and lime green sheets. I hand dyed all of them instead of paying an arm and a leg for colored sheets.
The quilt was made using this tutorial for a faux chenille blanket. Fabric is Riley Blake "Wheels."
The dresser was also mine and Maverick's before it was Hudson's. The changing table was built by my dad. The changing pad was sewed by my mom. I used acrylic paints to do the knobs. Notice the Hudson Hornet cars. :)
I think the window treatments were my best thrifty find. I got these Roman shades for $3 a piece and hot glued the lime green ribbon on them. Four window treatments cost me right around $15.
So there you have it, complete with crappy pictures. I hope this helps some of you realize that it doesn't take a ton of money to decorate something that you can be proud of.
Thanks for stopping by!